Mold is everywhere. The spores are continually floating outside and inside of your house. It is impossible to completely eliminate mold spores from entering your home, but you CAN prevent hazardous and costly mold colonization. Prevent mold’s ideal colonizing environment, and protect your family or your business. Follow these tips and destroy molds home, before it destroys yours:
- Keep humidity levels as low as you can (lower than 50%) all day long. Your air conditioner or dehumidifier will help keep humidity levels within the proper range.
- Make sure your home has proper ventilation. Your exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom should vent outside of your home. Also make sure your clothes dryer vents to the outside.
- Check for, and FIX, any leaks in your roof, walls, or plumbing. Mold needs moisture to grow. If you find that the water damage is more extensive than expected, contact us for help.
- Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and as soon as possible after flooding. This should be done within 24-48 hours.
- Add mold inhibitors to paints before painting.
- Clean bathrooms with mold-killing products.
- Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and cannot be dried promptly. Consider not using carpet in rooms or areas like bathrooms or basements that may have a lot of moisture.
- To learn more about preventing mold in your home, see the Environmental Protection Agency’s publication A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home at http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html.