Cleaning mold in your home is like trying to lose weight. If you can see that you have a problem it’s not enough just to get a tummy tuck and call it good. You’ve got to clean out that refrigerator, no matter how much you love your hidden stash of Moose Tracks ice cream and bag of Dove chocolate. You have to actually FIX the problem, not just the cosmetics of it. If you can see mold growing in your home, you need to clean up the mold and FIX THE MOISTURE PROBLEM! I can’t stress that enough.

Don’t waste your time and effort cleaning if the mold can just grow back again within 24-48 hours because you didn’t fix the water damage. Mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup of bleach in 1 gallon of water. You can also use some commercial products or try soap and water. If the area to be cleaned is greater than 10 square feet, the CDC recommends calling a professional like us.

Remember, the mold that you can see might be evidence of hidden mold within your walls, under your tile, in your ducts, and other hard to see/reach places. If you find that you are experiencing headaches or respiratory issues even after you have removed the visible mold, call our professionals to come and test for hidden mold.   If you choose to use bleach to clean up mold:

  • Make sure the windows are open and the room is well ventilated.
  • Wear protective gear including a face mask, non-porous gloves, and protective eye wear.
  • Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products will produce dangerous, toxic fumes.